Position: Executive Assistant to the Senior Pastor Job Description
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Classification: Full Time, Sunday Through Thursday
Position Overview: The Executive Assistant to Senior Pastor is responsible for assisting the senior pastor in the performance of his administrative responsibilities. Must maintain complete confidentiality, assist as needed in all situations, and serve as a helpful and caring assistant to interface with the congregation and the Senior Pastor.
Primary Areas of Responsibilities & Duties:
- Write and send out weekly emails to all the new visitors and some returning visitors, from the Senior Pastor.
- Send first time gift thank you letters weekly, out in the mail.
- Contact and schedule meetings for the Pastors with visitors who wish to join the church. Work with the families to make sure they have all their paperwork filled out and that they have all the information that they need.
- Compile and update the new member spreadsheet, to show for added professions of faith, transfers of membership and baptisms.
- Schedule and maintain the Senior Pastor’s calendar and coordinate his calendar for all church member meetings.
- Redirect visitors and members from the Senior Pastor’s calendar to another staff member, when appropriate.
- Return emails and phone calls for the Senior Pastor, to free him up to continue to be the visionary for Covenant.
- Meet weekly with the Senior Pastor to prioritize the tasks at hand.
- Attend weekly staff Worship Planning meetings with the Senior Pastor.
- Attend weekly pastoral meetings with the pastors.
- Attend the Chairperson’s Committee Meetings, Lay Nominations Committee Meetings, and other monthly meetings.
- Help the Senior Pastor with his weekly sermon notes, to create the final product.
- Work with Director of Communications on the weekly bulletin, to make sure that all is correct and completed.
- Work on different projects and events that Senior Pastor will ask me to help him create and coordinate materials.
- Research different sermon series, to help Senior Pastor prepare for future series and topics.
- Aid in preparation for the Senior Pastor’s meetings and events through the production of documents, handouts, reports, ordering meals, reminders, etc.
- Assist with funerals and weddings as needed. Anything to do with hospitality, comes through the office.
- Record meeting minutes, when requested.
- Serve as gatekeeper for the Senior Pastor, while ensuring people are being helped/served in a timely manner.
- Maintain and helps prioritize the general church activity calendar and provide the Senior Pastor with updated daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly calendars.
- Handle any travel plans and preparation for conferences or speaking engagements.
- Attend meetings or conferences with or on behalf of the Senior Pastor, as needed.
- Maintain the Senior Pastor’s files and databases and compose letters, reports and correspondence as needed.
- Communicate with the Senior Pastor all that is going on behind the scenes, to help make sure he is in the know.
- Brainstorm with the Senior Pastor to help come up with church members to be added to committees, etc.
- All administrative support and other required duties that the Senior Pastor requests on Sunday mornings, as needed.
- Coordinate the Staff Leadership Retreat and outside staff get-togethers with Ministry Assistant.
Education and Experience: This position requires a strong spiritual background and commitment to the church and to the ministry of the church. A minimum of three years experience in managing people and possession of a bachelor’s degree in business or related field. The candidate must have a proven track record of effective leadership, judgment, above reproach character, and the ability to maintain confidentiality. The candidate must have a proven expertise with multiple workplace technologies including computer skills, E-mail, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience in ACS software is preferred.
Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Interested parties should forward a complete application packet to Rev. Matt Yon – [email protected]. It should include the following:
- Cover letter with general background information, family, community involvement, and hobbies
- Current resume
- List of 3 references