Director of Children's Ministry (Infant to 5th Grade)
Reports to Associate Pastor of Discipleship, Missions, & Adult Ministries
Position Overview: The Director of Children’s Ministry is responsible for the overall worship, discipleship, and engagement of our children membership. This includes working with our Children’s Ministry team to create a comprehensive program for our children.
Primary Areas of Responsibilities: Visioning, Leadership, and Management
- Provide visionary leadership for the Children’s Ministry team to accomplish the mission of Covenant and the children’s ministry department.
- Supervise and manage staff members including the Assistant Director of Children’s Ministry and the childcare staff.
- Responsible for planning and executing ministries for children that grows their faith and relationship with Jesus Christ. This includes selecting curriculum from infant to 5th grade, leading a weekly worship, and other special events such as VBS and retreats.
- Create a welcoming and safe environment for children and adults, coordinating the nursery, Sunday morning lessons, Sunday morning children’s worship, and Sunday night activities for children.
- Set and oversee ministry budgets and the facilities provided. Communicate and work in collaboration with the Covenant Christian Academy (CCA) regarding shared spaces, furniture, and facilities.
- Leads weekly chapel (August to May) for CCA students in collaboration with the CCA director.
- Implement Safe Sanctuary policies and procedure for the nursery and children’s ministries. Actively engage parents to volunteer and participate in children’s ministry activities.
- Engage in continuing education opportunities associated with children’s ministry to improve current ministries.
- Coordinates and executes parent meetings as needed.
- Coordinates and executes children’s ministry volunteer training events as needed.
- Oversees and leads the Children’s Ministry Team.
- Connect and communicate effectively with children, adults, and families concerning spiritual matters.
- Be a creative, dependable, and energetic self-starter who sees children’s ministry as a calling from God.
- Be strong in organization, delegation, and planning skills for ministries and programs.
- Model a personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ and perform all other duties as assigned by the pastoral and leadership team.
The Director of Children’s Ministry position is employed by the Staff Parish Relations Committee and shall work under the supervision of the Discipleship Pastor and Executive Pastor.
Education and Experience: This position requires a strong spiritual background and commitment to the church and to the ministry of the church. A minimum of five years of experience building and growing a children’s ministry and possession of a bachelor’s degree in Christian education, elementary education or early childhood education is preferred. The candidate must have a proven track record of effective leadership, judgment, and above reproach character.
Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Interested parties should forward a complete application packet to Matt Yon – firstname.lastname@example.org. It should include the following:
- Cover letter with general background information, family, community involvement, and hobbies
- Current resume
- List of 3 references
Children's Ministry Preschool Worker
Position: Part-time (up to 6 hours per week) with yearly review.
Reports to: Director of Children’s Ministry
Job Summary: Care of children in preschool, ages 6 weeks – 4 years, during Sunday morning programming, evening programming, and/or during extra church events when called upon. All of these ages are split into different rooms.
Qualifications: Applicant must have experience working with children in a nursery setting, or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience that would enable an individual to satisfactorily perform the duties of this position. Applicant must also pass a background check and complete Safe Sanctuary training.
- Ensure the physical and emotional safety of all children left in their care by following all Safe Sanctuary guidelines.
- Arrive 30 minutes before service/event begins to prepare the space to receive children and stay until all children are dismissed.
- Serve alongside volunteers and teach children the Bible story of the day and lead children through developmentally appropriate activities provided by Children’s Ministry staff.
- Be responsible for all restroom needs, including changing diapers in necessary age levels.
- Ensure all children are safely returned to their correct parent/guardian.
- Make certain the nursery is kept clean.
- Other tasks as needed.
- Ability to perform duties in a timely manner.
- Ability to work with the Director of Children’s Ministry, church staff, pastors, Children’s Ministry volunteers, parents, and children.
- Success stories.
- Yearly review.
Education and Experience: This position requires a strong spiritual background; a genuine love of children and families; and commitment to the church and to the ministry of the church. The candidate must have a proven track record of effective leadership, judgment, and above reproach character.